Now Accepting Applications for Our Publishing Fellowship!

Publishing Fellowship Announcement

The University of Texas Press is now accepting applications for our 2023-2024 Publishing Fellowship! We’re offering one paid Publishing Fellowship for the 2023-2024 year, beginning September 1, 2023, and ending August 31, 2024. Our fellowship program is designed to help prepare fellows for a career in book publishing by providing intensive and practical experience at one of the nation’s leading university presses!

Read more about the program and the application process here. Applicants may download the application here: Publishing Fellowship Application 2023-2024. The deadline for application materials is March 31, 2023.

We asked a few of our former publishing fellows to share their experience in the program and how the work they did over the course of their fellowship year prepared them for positions in scholarly publishing after finishing the fellowship. Learn a bit more about the fellowship through our friends and former fellows!

2017-2018 Publishing Fellow Stephanie Malak:

“Through the UT Press Fellowship I learned about the editorial and intellectual property processes that help make books happen. The Press was a welcoming and supportive environment where I was encouraged to explore the ways my academic interests overlaid UTP’s backlists and forthcoming titles. From my participation in editorial meetings, preparation of meeting materials, and licensing contract negotiation, I gained a hands-on understanding of the publishing industry. As a direct result of my fellowship tenure, I’ve since secured senior editor positions with academic and literary publishers and have attended the Frankfurt Book Fair and the International Book Festival in Guadalajara. Thank you, UTP!”

Stephanie Malak, Senior Research Analyst, Spark Admissions | Translations Editor, The Common | Developmental Editor, Ideas on Fire

2017-2018 Publishing Fellow David Juarez:

“My time at the University of Texas Press was invaluable in preparing me for my own career in academic publishing. The knowledge and experience I gained from a press of the caliber of UT is unmatched.”

David Juarez, Assistant Production Editor, University of Notre Dame Press

2021-2022 Publishing Fellow Sarah Rodriguez:

“This fellowship and all the amazing, knowledgeable staff at UT Press provided me with a ground-up education in the scholarly publishing world. I came to truly understand and appreciate the work we do to make books a reality through projects in all departments of the press. It was a fully immersive and engaging experience!”

Sarah Rodriguez, Editorial Assistant, Stanford University Press

2013 Publishing Fellow Angelica Lopez-Torres:

“The UT Press Fellowship was the opportunity of a lifetime, allowing me to get my foot in the door. The fellowship and the supportive staff at the Press gave me the room to learn about the areas of publishing that I wouldn’t have previously known to pursue. I’m going on year nine of being part of this industry and have the fellowship and the incredible people at UT Press to thank for it.”

Angelica Lopez-Torres, International Rights Manager

We hope our readers will share this incredible opportunity with any humanities graduate who may be interested in applying! For questions regarding the fellowship or the application and interview process, please contact Adrienne Gilg at (512) 232-7603 or at agilg@utpress.utexas.edu.