The University of Texas Press is now accepting applications for our 2023-2024 Publishing Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: Friday, March 31, 2023
The University of Texas Press is offering a Publishing Fellowship for the 2023-2024 year, beginning September 1, 2023, and ending August 31, 2024. Download the application here: Publishing Fellowship Application 2023-2024
- The fellowship program is designed to help prepare fellows for a career in book publishing by providing intensive and practical experience at one of the nation’s leading university presses.
- The fellowship will be based in two departments, with exposure to the operations of the other departments at the Press. The primary departments for the 2023–2024 fellowship are marketing and EDP (editing, design, and production); see descriptions below.
- While the emphasis will be on scholarly publishing, much of the training will apply equally well to commercial publishing.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- The 2023-2024 Publishing Fellowship is open to all humanities graduates.
- The Fellowship will be in person.
- Applicants must be able to meet the university requirements for employment at the time of application. These requirements can be found at:https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/employment-eligibility-verification-i9-docs.
- Applicants should have a strong interest in pursuing a career in publishing.
- Before accepting the appointment, the fellow will be asked to sign a statement of understanding of the program’s purpose and procedures, which include the intent to complete the fellowship year.
The fellowship provides opportunities for the successful candidate to gain in-depth experience in multiple departments, with opportunities to network across the Press and learn elements of the overall publishing process. In addition to in-house training, the fellow will attend the annual meeting of the Association of University Presses and will attend one additional scholarly conference.
- Marketing: Under the supervision of the marketing and sales manager, the fellow will become acquainted with sales tools; research media outlets with the publicity team; develop review lists and send out review copies of books; participate in the creation of seasonal catalogs; research and develop marketing plans for books; and assist with seasonal marketing correspondence with authors.
- Editing, Design, and Production: Under the supervision of the EDP manager, the fellow will focus on manuscript preparation, file clean-up and coding, editing, proofreading, indexing, and project management in collaboration with Press staff.
Stipend and Benefits:
The fellow will receive $41,500 for the year ($38,000 base pay, plus $3,500 health insurance stipend), payable as $3,458 at the end of each month of completed training; this amount will be prorated accordingly if the fellow leaves before August 31, 2024. Under present laws, this award is taxable, and the university must report payments to the IRS, although no withholding will be made. The University of Texas will not be responsible for fringe benefits, other than regular staff holidays.
The fellow will have visiting scholar status at the University of Texas at Austin. This status allows fellows the opportunity to purchase student health insurance and an “A” parking permit and provides access to campus libraries. Fellows are ineligible for enrollment-related deferments on student loans.
Fellows are not enrolled in academic courses and will not receive academic credit.
When the Year Is Finished:
At the end of the training period, the fellow will be certified as having successfully completed the fellowship. Press staff will advise the fellow on university press job opportunities and application materials. At the end of the fellowship year, the fellow will be asked to provide a personal report evaluating the experience.
How to Apply:
The application can be downloaded here: Publishing Fellowship Application 2023-2024
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed application form
- Résumé (maximum two pages)
- One-page personal statement
The Press will invite finalists to interview in April 2023. The 2023-2024 fellow will be announced by May 1, 2023.
No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including but not limited to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or veteran status.
Electronic Submission Only:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions, please contact:
Adrienne Gilg: (512) 232-7603
Deadline: March 31, 2023
Notice Concerning Your Information
The Texas Public Information Act, with a few exceptions, gives you the right to be informed about the information that The University of Texas at Austin collects about you. It also gives you the right to request a copy of that information; and to have The University correct any of that information that is wrong. You may request to receive and review any of that information, or request corrections to it, by contacting the University’s Public Information Officer, Office of Financial Affairs, PO Box 8179, Austin, Texas, 78713 (email: email@example.com).