Now available in paperback, the memoir of a pioneering surgeon whose extraordinary career and achievements include the first successful heart transplant in the United States.
Series: Tower Books Imprint
The pioneering surgeon Dr. Denton Cooley performed his first human heart transplant in 1968 and astounded the world in 1969 by conducting the first successful implantation of a totally artificial heart in a human being. Over the course of his career, Cooley and his associates performed thousands of open-heart operations and pioneered the use of new surgical procedures. Of all his achievements, however, Cooley was most proud of the Texas Heart Institute, which he founded in 1962 with a mission to use education, research, and improved patient care to decrease the devastating effects of cardiovascular disease.
In 100,000 Hearts, Cooley tells about his childhood in Houston, his education at the University of Texas, his medical-school training at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston and Johns Hopkins, and his service in the Army Medical Corps. While at Johns Hopkins, Cooley assisted in a groundbreaking operation to correct an infant’s congenital heart defect, which inspired him to specialize in heart surgery.
Cooley’s detailed descriptions of working in the operating room at crucial points in medical history offer a fascinating perspective on the distance medical science traveled in just a few decades.
- Chapter 1: My Roots
- Chapter 2: Boyhood Friends and Activities
- Chapter 3: “This, My Friend, is the UT”
- Chapter 4: Becoming a Doctor
- Chapter 5: The Dawn of Heart Surgery
- Chapter 6: Army Doctor
- Chapter 7: Residency at Hopkins
- Chapter 8: A Year at the Brompton
- Chapter 9: Pioneering Cardiovascular Surgery
- Chapter 10: Opening up the Heart
- Chapter 11: An Institute for the Heart
- Chapter 12: Transplanting Hearts
- Chapter 13: The Total Artificial Heart
- Chapter 14: The “Cooley Hilton” and Beyond
- Chapter 15: On Being a Surgeon
- Chapter 16: Private Life
- Chapter 17: Reconciliation with Mike
- Summing Up
- Appendix A: Glossary
- Appendix B: Personal Contributions to Cardiovascular Surgery
- Appendix C: Surgical Inventions and Products
- Appendix D: Selected Publications
- Appendix E: Denton A. Cooley Cardiovascular Surgical Society
- Appendix F: Curriculum Vitae