An exciting new format, this bilingual DVD and its companion website introduce readers to the visual culture of colonial Spanish America, offering an unrivaled number of high-resolution images as well as videos, maps, primary documents, and more.
This book is currently unavailable in this format. Subscribe to be notified of availability.
Designed for use by teachers, students, and scholars, the bilingual and interactive Vistas DVD and companion website introduce readers to the visual culture of colonial Spanish America. Examining works of high art as well as the material culture of daily life, Vistas explores the cross-pollination and cultural diversity that defined the colonial period in the wake of the Spanish conquest of indigenous America. Offering an unprecedented wealth of visual material, Vistas includes access to a gallery of over three hundred high-resolution annotated images, a collection with a range and richness unavailable from any other source.
- Videos covering main ideas and key images
- Interpretative analysis of each image
- Library of primary documents in the original Spanish or indigenous language, side-by-side with an English translation and commentary
- Maps and historical photographs of major colonial cities
- Glossary of important terms
- Searchable bibliography
- Historical time line
- Gallery of over three hundred high-resolution images
- Teaching ideas and sample syllabi on the companion website
"Vistas is an engaging Digital Humanities project that should give publishers of textbooks pause as they contemplate their futures. It is easy to imagine using this resource in the classroom..."
—Michael J. Schreffler, Virginia Commonwealth University, The Americas