This extensively illustrated, bilingual English-Portuguese volume traces the physical development of Brazil’s largest city and presents a blueprint for transforming its aging industrial areas into mixed-use affordable housing districts.
While the history of São Paulo dates back more than 450 years, most of its growth took place after World War II as the city’s major economic engine shifted from agriculture to industry. Today, as São Paulo evolves into a service economy hub, Felipe Correa argues, the city must carefully examine how to better integrate its extensive inner city post-industrial land into contemporary urban uses. In São Paulo: A Graphic Biography, Correa presents a comprehensive portrait of Brazil’s largest city, narrating its fast-paced growth through archival material, photography, original drawings, and text. Additional essays from scholars in fields such as landscape architecture, ecology, governance, and public health offer a series of interdisciplinary perspectives on the city’s history and development.
Beyond presenting the first history of Paulista urban form and carefully detailing the formative processes that gave shape to this manufacturing capital, São Paulo shows how the city can transform its post-industrial lands into a series of inner city mixed-use affordable housing districts. By reorienting how we think about these spaces, the volume offers a compelling vision of a much-needed urban restructuring that can help alleviate the extreme socioeconomic divide between city center and periphery. This twenty-first century urban blueprint thus constitutes an impressive work of research and presents a unique perspective on how cities can imagine their future.
- Foreword / Prefácio
- Introdução / Introduction
- São Paulo: Models of Urban Growth / São Paulo: modelos de crescimento urbano
- Collective Living in South America: A Primer / Habitações coletivas na América do Sul: guia introdutório
- Infraestrutura de mobilidade: campanha do projeto urbano / Mobility Infrastructure: Driver of the Urban Project
- Urban Plans and Visions: A Genealogy of São Paulo / Planejamentos e visões urbanas: a genealogia de São Paulo
- An Evolutionary Plan: Connecting the City to the River / Plano evolutivo: conexão da cidade com o rio
“[Presents] a complex analysis of the growth of Säo Paulo…offering tools for more sustainable development in the future.”