Mexican Political Biographies, 1935-2009
1344 Pages, 6.12 x 9.25 x 2.60 in
LLILAS Special Publications
Sales Date: August 15, 2011
1344 Pages, 6.12 x 9.25 x 2.60 in
This fourth edition of Roderic Camp's highly respected Mexican Political Biographies is an updated comprehensive biographical directory of leading state and national politicians in Mexico, covering the years 1935–2009. The original edition, published in 1976, was the first and only comprehensive biographical work on contemporary political figures in any language and served as the prototype for the Mexican government's brief foray into its own official biographical directory. The Mexican Supreme Court has cited every biography of justices in the third edition as the basis of its biographies in the late 1980s.
With updates of the existing biographies and appendices, plus almost 1,000 additional biographies, this fourth edition now features close to 3,000 entries and serves as a unique resource list of the chronological occupants of all leading national political posts. The need for such information has become even more pronounced since Mexico's political transformation from a semi-authoritarian to a democratic model.
This latest edition allows readers access to information about Mexican politicians into the new century, and like its earlier versions, will be a valuable tool for government officials, journalists, historians, social scientists, the business community, and students.
Finally, it includes a detailed bibliographic essay that identifies and explains the significance of biographical sources and has been enhanced by numerous up-to-date Internet sources. An added convenience is an accompanying CD that allows readers to search the biographies and appendices, enhancing the longevity, usefulness, and uniqueness of this edition.
- A Note to the Reader
- How to Use This Book
- How Persons Were Selected for Inclusion
- Source Abbreviations
- Abbreviations Used in the Text
- The Biographies
- A. Supreme Court Justices, 1935–2010
- B. Senators, 1934–2012
- C. Federal Deputies, 1937–2012
- D. Directors of Federal Departments, Agencies, and Banks, 1935–2010
- E. Ambassadors to the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Russia, the Organization of American States, Cuba, the United Nations, the Vatican, Spain, Italy, Japan, Canada, and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, 1935–2010
- F. Governors, 1935–2010, and Heads of the Government of the Federal District, 1997–2010
- G. Rectors and Directors General of the National Universities, 1935–2010
- H. National Executive Committees of the National Revolutionary Party (PNR), Party of the Mexican Revolution (PRM), and Revolutionary Institutional Party (PRI), 1935–2010
- I. Presidents and Secretaries-General of the National Action Party (PAN), the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD), the Green Party (PVEM), the Convergence Party (CON), the Authentic Party of the Mexican Revolution (PARM), the Popular Socialist Party (PPS), and the Mexican Democratic Party (PDM), 1939–2010
- J. Secretaries-General of the Mexican Federation of Labor (CTM), National Farmers’ Confederation (CNC), National Federation of Popular Organizations (CNOP), Federation of Government Employees’ Unions (FSTSE), Mexican Petroleum Workers’ Union (STPRM), Union of Electrical Workers of the Mexican Republic (STERM), and National Teachers’ Union (SNTE), 1936-2010
- A Selected Bibliographical Essay
- Description of the CD